Solar Panel Installation Contractors Near You
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Find Local Solar Installers with Modernize
Solar Panel Installation Near Me
Whether your goal is to save money on utility bills or increase your property value, solar panel installation is a significant investment for your home. Finding a reliable and trustworthy solar panel installer is your first step in powering your home with a solar energy system.
At Modernize, we frequently speak to homeowners about their solar panel installation projects. In our recent interviews, 80 percent of homeowners found a solar contractor for the job through referrals. But it’s important to properly vet and research solar panel installers beforehand, even if a friend or a family member personally vouched for them.
Finding Local Solar Installers
Installing residential solar panels is usually prompted by a desire to save on total costs of utility bills or increase the value of your home. There are a few things you’ll want to do before beginning your search for a local solar installer. You will want to research local and federal rebates, incentives and technologies, and the quality and longevity of solar panels. You will also want to understand all of the benefits of a solar energy system installation and what to expect from it.
It’s important to find a local solar installer you can trust. They will be able to help you with local rebates and other benefits that you may be unaware of in your area.
Hiring a Solar Panels Installation Contractor
Use our solar contractor checklist to help you through your hiring of a solar installer near you.
There’s a lot to consider under the umbrella of reliability. In recent interviews, 90 percent of homeowners requested a solar installer checklist to help them find and vet contractors in their area. Modernize now offers homeowners a free, digital Contractor Hiring Checklist as a simple, step-by-step guide to assist with your solar project.
Get Solar Installer Referrals
The first thing you’ll want to do when hiring a local solar panel installation contractor is to get referrals on them. You can go about this in a few ways listed below:
- Ask your neighbors, friends, and family if they know of any local solar installers and what the experience was like for them.
- Contacting your local Better Business Bureau about solar installers.
- Connecting with trusted solar contractors in your area through Modernize.
Compare Your Options
One of the most important parts of your search is vetting different contractors and comparing their work.
- Request quotes from three to four contractors in your area.
- Visit the website for each solar contractor.
- Is their solar website updated and professional looking?
- Explore any customer reviews or ratings you can find online for each contractor.
- Are they mostly positive? Consider negative reviews and responses.
- Know how to evaluate the different solar installation cost quotes.
Talk to Your Favorite Installers
Once you have a short list of your top choices, vet them on the phone. A trustworthy solar panel installer will appreciate an opportunity to discuss your project and will appreciate getting to know a potential client.
- How long have you been established in the solar industry?
- How much experience do you have with my particular solar panel installation job?
- What is your solar installation cost estimate?
- Can you provide a list of references who you’ve installed for locally?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage?
Meet the Best Solar Contractors
Meet in-person with your top contractors to review project-specific details and expectations. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare solar contractors. Be sure to bring up the following with each contractor:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits for their solar business.
- Discuss who will manage solar warranty details and responsibility.
- Make sure to get a fixed installation price before signing a contract.
Contractor Warning Signs
Always be aware of the major warning signs with solar installers and avoid any hidden costs in your installation. Before choosing your contractor for your solar installation, be sure you can trust them and that their estimate is transparent and complete.
The best way to avoid scams is to choose a local, trusted solar installation contractor—someone whose reputation and reliability are central to their success. You can confirm this by checking their physical business address and validating their licensing to be registered to a local domain.
Here are additional warning signs that can protect your solar installation project from unforeseen complications:
- Avoid any solar contractors who request the entire project cost, or large cash deposit, up front from the beginning of your project.
- Avoid anyone who pressures you to sign a contract immediately. Solar panel installation is a big investment and should be treated as so.
- Be wary of any outliers in your solar panel install quotes. All estimates should be relatively similar unless the solar system type is significantly different.
How to Evaluate Local Price Quotes
The best solar installation contractor will not always be the cheapest contractor. And the best solar installation quote isn’t always the lowest. The cost for solar panels will range of course depending on your specific needs.
A recent Modernize survey revealed 63 percent of homeowners compare three to four solar contractor estimates ahead of a solar energy installation project. Evaluating multiple quotes helps homeowners scope their budget and encourages contractors to be competitive with their pricing. It’s important to understand your total solar estimates and why quotes can vary from each other. Before comparing your own set of estimates, see our guide on Evaluating Contractors’ Solar Panel Quotes.
Comparing contractors is easy and effective with our free hiring worksheet to help you find the best solar panel installers near you.
No matter what you use to determine who will install your solar panels it’s important you keep in mind that saving money today could cost you much more money later if the project isn’t completed correctly. Quality, especially when it comes to your home and solar panel installations is a lifelong investment.