Comparison shopping is an incredibly important part of finding the right roofing contractor. Modernize knows that 63 percent of homeowners take the time to compare three to four contractor estimates ahead of roof repairs and replacement projects. That’s why our tool instantly matches you with up to four local contractors, allowing you to compare rates from multiple companies without having to contact numerous contractors and provide your information several times.
Those contractors will then quickly review your details and call to talk more about your project, often within minutes. This phone call is an important first step to finding a trusted contractor for your roofing project. In this blog, we’re focusing on how to ace the all-important first phone call.
How to Prepare for the Call With A Roofing Contractor
Before the call, there are several first steps you can take to begin determining the best professional fit for your roofing project:
- Start by verifying each roofing company’s contact information
- Verifying a company’s details is a very easy way to weed out potential scams. If you can’t verify that information yourself, ask for the roofing company’s full legal business name and physical address on your first call.
- Visit the website of each contractor.
- Another great way to see if a contractor is reputable: scrutinize their website. Is it updated and professional looking?
- Explore customer reviews for each contractor.
- Modernize offers a list of verified customer reviews for each contractor candidate. Are they mostly positive? Don’t forget to consider negative reviews, and how the company responds.
Questions To Ask On The Call
Your contractor should immediately come off as enthusiastic and professional. But beyond their demeanor, use this call to gauge how knowledgeable they are. Don’t be afraid to ask a ton of questions!
To start, ask each roofing contractor the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- How much experience do you have with roof repairs or installations?
- What is your project estimate?
- Can you explain the factors you use to determine the price of a new roof?
- Can you explain the process?
- How will you handle the removal and disposal of my old roof?
- Can you provide a list of references?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage?
For more help on vetting a contractor, check out the Modernize Contractor Checklist. It’s a great tool to help vet a roofing contractor, so you can relax knowing your roofing repair or replacement project is in good hands.