Corpus Christi Roofing Installation Buying Guide
If you’re looking to improve your home’s value, overall energy efficiency, and appearance, it may be time to invest in a new roof. According to the 2016 Cost vs. Value Report, you can expect a 71.7% rate of return on investment (ROI) when you replace your roof. Depending on the type of roofing system you choose, you may be able to increase that ROI too, as many prospective homebuyers are willing to pay a premium for durable and attractive roofing systems like slate, cedar shakes, and metal shingles.
While asphalt shingles are one of the most popular and most budget-friendly roofing systems in Texas, there are a wide array of roofing styles that offer various benefits. For instance, metal roofing comes from almost completely recycled material. It can be applied directly over your existing roof, saving you the cost of a tear off job and preventing tons of roofing waste from ending up in your local landfill. It also complements almost any home style. Another roofing system that is gaining popularity in Texas is foam roofing. Mostly commonly seen on commercial buildings, homeowners are investing in foam roofs because of their seamless finish that makes them air and water tight. Before you decide which roof is right for you, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my budget?
- How much time and money am I willing to invest in maintenance to expand the lifespan of my new roof?
- How will my local climate impact my roof?
- How long do I plan to be in my home?
- Which roofing style best complements my home’s style?
- Is making an environmentally friendly choice an important factor in choosing a roof?
Corpus Christi Climate and your Roof
Residents of Corpus Christi experience a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers. The warmest months of the year are from June through September. Winter in Corpus Christi is short and mild. The coldest months are from November through February. As a coastal city, Corpus Christi is very windy, with wind speeds often reaching 25 miles per hour and gusts reaching more than 35 miles per hour. Corpus Christi receives an average 31.76 inches of rainfall each year. Corpus Christi does experience some severe weather events including heaving rain, flooding, and even tornadoes.
Add Solar Panels to Your New Roof
Corpus Christi enjoys 223 sunny days annually. Why not make the most of all that sunshine by installing solar panels on your roof? You’ll see immediate savings on your monthly energy bill, but in twenty years time, you can expect to save $20,960 in energy costs. Additionally, there has never been a more affordable time to purchase and install solar panels. The cost of solar systems in Texas has decreased by 50% in the past five years thanks to numerous incentives offered at the utility, county, state, and federal government levels. For instance:
- You can take a federal tax credit for 30% of the total expenses (including installation, fuel cells, and labor expenses) of your solar energy system. If you have an excess federal tax credit, you can carry it over to the subsequent taxable year if it surpasses tax liability. You’ll want to move quickly to take advantage of this tax credit as it is set to expire at the end of 2016.
- Energy-Efficient Mortgages are a federal loan program that enables homeowners to utilize energy-efficient mortgages to either supplement or completely fund renewable energy systems.
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing allows home, building, and property owners to finance renewable energy and energy-efficiency projects by placing a assessment on the land. The amount financed often is paid via property taxes on a yearly basis until the system is paid off. In Texas, the PACE statutes are carried out by local governments.
- Additionally, even though your solar panels will most likely increase your home’s value, your property tax won’t go up as a result. The State of Texas offers a property tax exemption (Texas Tax Code 11.27) that allows the owners of residential properties to take an exemption from taxation (using form 50-123) for the amount of the appraised value of the property that increases as a result of the installation or construction of a solar energy system.
A licensed solar installer can help you maximize all of the incentives available to you, dramatically decreasing the cost of your solar system.
Roofing Permitting Process in Corpus Christi
The City of Corpus Christi’s Development Services Department is responsible for all planning, development and permitting activities in Corpus Christi. The department brings together building services, civil engineering, planning and zoning, permit applications, major projects and records in a way that customers can access information, start new projects, and get projects approved. Visit the Development Services website to learn about the requirements, and to access the forms necessary for residential construction projects. The application for a roofing permit is available here. You can also reach the Development Services Department by phone at 361-826-3240.