How to Use the Solar Calculator
The best way to learn about local rebates, your home’s energy potential, and your eventual return on investment is to use our ModSun Solar Cost Calculator (see above). Enter your home address in the box, then click Check My Roof. You’ll get an instant picture of your roof’s productivity, your average energy expenses, and installation costs in your area—whether you decide to buy or loan. We’ll also provide system size recommendations and information about rebates and incentives you may be eligible for. Just select More Info under each purchasing strategy to learn more, and then connect with a solar pro.
Buying Guide for Solar Panels in Orlando, Florida
Solar power is booming in the United States. If you are considering installing a solar panel system in your home or business, it would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with the important details involved with this project. This Buying Guide will help you determine if solar power is right for you, and help you get started on the path to solar.
About Orlando’s Climate
The City of Orlando, Florida is the sixth largest in the state and is home to over 200,000 people. Its metropolitan area adds nearly 1.8 million more. With over 233 sunny days, Orlando is ideal for solar panel installation.
About Solar Panels
Solar panels harvest sunlight during the day and convert it into electricity using photovoltaic cells. Typically, solar panel systems are affixed to rooftops to generate cheap electricity. When space is available, the panels can be installed on the ground.
Why Go Solar in Orlando?
Why Go Solar in Orlando?
Converting your home to solar power offers many economic and environmental benefits:
- Since solar power provides you with a means to produce your own electricity, you can reduce or eliminate your dependence on the big utility companies.
- Solar panels should be viewed as an investment instead of an expense. The returns produced by a solar panel system often rival those found on Wall Street, without the risk. Most solar panel owners can expect an average ROI “Return of Investment” of 20% or more.
- Homes and businesses equipped with solar power systems experience higher property values. A solar panel system also provides a great marketing tool for folks planning to sell their home by taking advantage of the nation’s green movement.
- Clean, solar energy is good for the environment and helps reduce your carbon footprint. Replacing big utility electricity with electricity produced by a typical solar panel system reduces carbon emissions by 3 – 4 tons each year.
- Solar power helps lower our nation’s dependence on foreign oil. This is good for our economy by keeping our dollars at home, which stimulates the economy and creates employment opportunities.
Roof Considerations before Installing Solar Panels on your Orlando Home
For solar panels to work at optimum levels, they need as much direct sunlight as possible. Homes with unobstructed, south-facing roofs or swaths of empty land are ideal situations for solar panel installation. Before installing a solar panel system on your roof, you should have the roof and its structural elements inspected and make any necessary repairs. With that being said, since solar panels have an expected life span of 20 years or more, replacing your roof before panel installation would probably save you money down the road.
Solar Panel Permits in Orlando
The city of Orlando requires building permits for the installation of solar thermal, photovoltaic and hybrid systems. Permitting services are located at City Hall – 1st floor, 400 South Orange Avenue, P.O. Box 4990, Orlando, Florida 32801. You can reach them by phone by dialing (407) 246-2271, or by fax (407) 246-3420 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 A.M. – 5 P.M.
Where to Purchase Solar Panels in Orlando
Solar panels are produced and sold by a variety of manufacturers including Sunwize, Evergreen Solar and Mitsubishi Electric. Hire a local solar contractor or solar installation company who can size your home, determine the best type of system, and install the system professionally according to the State of Florida Building Code.
Orlando Solar Rebates and Incentives
You can reduce the cost of your solar panel system by taking advantage of available rebates and incentive programs. To view a comprehensive list of rebates, programs and policies by state, visit the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency. Federal programs such as the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit are also available.