How to Use the Solar Calculator
The best way to learn about local rebates, your home’s energy potential, and your eventual return on investment is to use our ModSun Solar Cost Calculator (see above). Enter your home address in the box, then click Check My Roof. You’ll get an instant picture of your roof’s productivity, your average energy expenses, and installation costs in your area—whether you decide to buy or loan. We’ll also provide system size recommendations and information about rebates and incentives you may be eligible for. Just select More Info under each purchasing strategy to learn more, and then connect with a solar pro.
Solar Buyer’s Guide for Columbus, Ohio
Ohio is in a good position to generate renewable energy based on its location, climate, and supportive local and state governments encouraging its property owners. This basic buying guide will point out some of the areas you’ll need to know about in order to make an informed decision. With the expert help of a qualified contractor and a knowledgeable solar representative, your property will work for you far into the future as a money saving and energy efficient home or business.
Solar Checklist for Columbus
Several steps that will need to be accomplished before the project begins include:
- Making any repairs necessary that can affect the efficiency of the solar product whether you’re having solar panels or a solar water heater installed.
- The roof must be inspected by a city inspector.
- You’ll need a city permit to ensure the project adheres to city building codes and ordinances and that a properly licensed contractor is doing the installation correctly.
- Hiring a state licensed contractor.
- Determining if solar panels or water storage tank can be installed on the roof.
- Discussing with your contractor: if the style and size of the roof is compatible with solar products; whether the roof has ample accessibility to direct sunlight; whether it faces south in order to best access the sun; and, whether the slope of the roof will work with a solar water storage tank.
Alternative to Solar Panel Roof Installation in Columbus
In the event your roof cannot support the weight of the number of solar panels necessary to heat and cool your property, solar panels can be mounted on the ground. The same requirements regarding enough space, accessibility to the sun throughout the day, and no obstructions to the panels still apply.
Columbus Climate for Solar
The climate in Columbus can play a part in the type of solar water heater you install. For areas with potentially freezing conditions, such as Columbus with winter lows in the 20-degree range, you’ll need an active, indirect system that uses a specialized non-freezing liquid to run the system instead of water. Overall, Columbus receives ample sunshine with 178 sunny days, 123 rainy days, and an average snowfall of 25 inches per year. The city’s humidity comfort index is at 45 which is one up on the U.S. average of 44 out of 100.
Selecting a Solar Contractor in Columbus
One of the most important steps in a solar installation is the selection of a qualified contractor experienced with solar installation. Verify any contractor’s license at the Ohio Department of Commerce eLicense Center.
Solar Permits for the City of Columbus
Permits are required anytime electrical or significant plumbing work is being done and/or whenever the roof is involved. Both solar panels and solar water heater storage tanks are installed on the roof. An inspection is required before installation takes place by a city inspector who will approve or fail the roof. If it fails, issues will need to be repaired before work can begin. You’ll also need a permit from the City of Columbus before starting the project. Your contractor can take care of applying for both the inspection and attaining the permit.
Resources Available to Home and Business Owners in Columbus
Installation of a solar system isn’t cheap but it is a wise investment. To provide incentives to home and business owners, numerous programs are available at the state, city, and federal government levels. Check these websites for more information on the types on solar products that are eligible for loans, rebates, and tax credits.
Benefits of Solar Products in Columbus
Apart from the obvious benefit of better energy efficiency with solar products, there are several other benefits that make the purchase smart move for the future.
- The system will pay for itself. Each month that you receive a lower utility bill, multiply those savings times 12 months, then multiply that figure times the life of the solar product which can range from 20 to 30 years. You’ll see the system pays for itself in a few years, leaving the remainder as an added bonus.
- Ohio is a coal using state. With solar power, home and business owners are not dependent on electricity generated by fossil fuels.
- The value of your property will increase with the addition of solar products.
- by using solar, you will significant decrease your carbon footprint that negatively affects the environment.
When you discuss solar types with your contractor, the system will be sized according to your property’s needs. With solar panels, you have several choices – Grid-Tie, Off-Grid, and Grid-Tie and Battery Backup. Solar water heaters are available as an active or passive system. Your contractor or sales representative will guide you in selection of the system that will work most efficiently with your home or business.