Roofing Contractors Near You
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Find Local Roof Repair Contractors with Modernize
Hiring a Roofing Contractor
At Modernize, we frequently speak to homeowners about their roof repair or replacement projects. In our recent interviews, 80 percent of homeowners found a contractor for their roofing job through referrals. But it’s important to properly vet and research local roofers before choosing your perfect fit, even if a friend or a family member personally vouched for them.
Here are some tips to always keep in mind when choosing the best roofing contractor to hire for your home’s roofing project.
Understanding Your Roof Replacement Options
A trusted roofing contractor will be able to assess, identify, and explain potential improvements or upgrades to your home. The roof type you plan to have installed on your home makes a big difference in how it performs, what it looks like, and life expectancy. While you may want to repair or replace your roof with your existing shingle type, this is a good time to evaluate different roof type options.
Each roof material type has their own defining characteristics—both positive and negative—that can have a significant impact on your investment.
Finding the Most Reliable Roofing Contractor
To ensure a timely roof repair or replacement, a reliable contractor is key. There’s a lot to consider under the umbrella of reliability. In recent interviews, 90 percent of homeowners requested a roofing contractor checklist to help them find and vet local roof installers. Modernize now offers homeowners a free, digital Contractor Checklist as a simple, step-by-step hiring guide to assist with your roofing project.
Here are some things you can do to ensure you find the best roofing contractor:
1. Find Contractor Referrals
Most homeowners approach a new roofing projects by gathering referrals. Some of the most common approaches are:
- Asking a trusted source such as neighbors, friends, or family in your area.
- Contacting your local Better Business Bureau.
- Connecting with trusted roofing contractors near you with Modernize.
2. Vetting Multiple Roofers
One of the most important parts of your search is vetting different roof contractors and comparing their work.
- Request quotes from three to four contractors in your area.
- Visit the website of each contractor.
- Is it updated and professional looking?
- Explore the customer reviews for each contractor.
- Are they mostly positive? Consider negative reviews and responses.
3. Reach Out to the Best Contractors
Once you have a short list of your top choices, get them on the phone. A trustworthy contractor will appreciate an opportunity to discuss your roofing project further, and a conversation allows you to get to know them. While you know best what you want to learn in the conversation, here are some quick questions to get the conversation started:
- How long have you been in business?
- How much experience do you have with roofing repair or installation?
- What is your roof project cost estimate?
- Can you provide a list of references?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage?
4. Meet up with the Top Contractors
Meet in-person with the top contractors near you to review specific details and expectations for your roofing project. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare contractors. Be sure to bring up the following with each contractor:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits.
- Discuss who will manage warranty details and responsibility. See our guide on roofing warranties for help in that area.
- Make sure to get a fixed price before signing a contract.
Don’t Wait Until Your Roof Needs To Be Replaced
You certainly don’t need to wait for an emergency before creating a meaningful relationship with your local roofing contractor.
If you have a trusted roofer in mind who has perhaps offered you an assessment of your roof or helped you learn the needs of your home, you will have less work to do if an emergency does arrive. It is always preferable to meet professionals and discuss the advantages of shingle types on your own time instead of under the stress of an emergency.
The right time to find a reliable roofing contractor is now.
Avoid Hidden Roofing Costs
Before choosing your roof repair contractor for a fast replacement, be sure you can trust them and that their estimate is transparent and complete. Learn how to evaluate roofing quotes here.
The best way to avoid scams is to choose a local, trusted contractor—someone whose reputation and reliability are central to their success. You can confirm this by checking their physical business address and validating their local licensing.
Here are additional warning signs that can protect your roof replacement budget:
- Avoid contractors who request the entire project cost, or large cash deposit, up front.
- Avoid anyone who pressures you to sign a contract immediately.
- Be wary of any outliers in your quotes. All estimates should be relatively similar unless the material type is significantly different.
When it comes to a roof replacement project, there are some hidden costs homeowners could be surprised with down the line. The best way to avoid these is to ask the contractor about them. Here is Modernize’s full review of the possible hidden costs in roof replacements.
Evaluating Roofing Price Quotes
The best contractor is not always the cheapest contractor. And the best roof replacement quote isn’t always the lowest.
A recent Modernize roofing survey revealed 63 percent of homeowners compare three to four contractor estimates ahead of a major home improvement project. Evaluating multiple roofing price quotes helps homeowners scope their budget and encourages contractors to be competitive with their pricing. It is always important to understand your roofing estimates and why quotes may vary from each other.
Comparing contractors is easy and effective with our free local contractor hiring guide to help you find the best roof replacement contractor near your area.
No matter what you use to determine who will replace or repair your roof, it’s important to keep in mind that saving money today could cost you additional repairs later if the roof installation isn’t done properly. Quality, especially when it comes to your home, is a lifelong investment.