Solar Panel Installation Contractors in Austin, TX
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Find Local Solar Installers with Modernize
Solar Panel Installation in Austin Texas
Austinites, are you ready to save money on your monthly utility bill? If so, read on for information about how you can save an estimated $200 to $1000 per year just by converting to solar panels for your home’s energy needs.
Whether your goal is to save money on utility bills or increase your property value, solar panel installation in Austin is a significant investment for your Texas home. Finding a reliable and trustworthy solar panel installer is your first step in powering your home with a solar energy system.
At Modernize, we frequently speak to Austin homeowners about their solar panel installation projects. In our recent interviews, 80 percent of homeowners chose a solar contractor for their installation job through referrals, ratings, and reviews. But it’s important to properly vet and research solar panel installers beforehand, even if a friend or a family member personally vouched for them
Finding Solar Installers in Austin
The first step in getting solar panels installed for your home is to contact qualified and licensed installation contractors for price quotes and information. It’s vital to your warranty should something fail, as well as the accurate functioning of each solar panel, that only a knowledgeable installer handle the project from start to finish. Your solar contractor will also know how to size your home and determine how many panels it will take to keep your home running efficiently with the Austin home.
It’s important to find a local Austin solar installer you can trust. They will be able to help you with local rebates and other benefits that you may be unaware are available from the renewable energy department of the City of Austin.
Hiring a Solar Panel Contractor in ATX
There’s a lot to consider under the umbrella of reliability for Austin solar companies. In recent interviews, 90 percent of homeowners requested a solar installer checklist to help them find and vet contractors in their area. Modernize offers homeowners a free, digital Austin Contractor Hiring Checklist as a simple, step-by-step guide to assist with your local solar project.
Get Solar Installer Referrals for Austin
The first thing you’ll want to do when hiring an Austin solar panel installation contractor is to get referrals on them. You can go about this in a few ways listed below:
- Ask your neighbors, friends, and family if they know of any local solar installers and what the experience was like for them.
- Contact the Austin Better Business Bureau about solar installers.
- Connecting with trusted solar contractors in your area through Modernize.
Compare Your Local Options
One of the most important parts of your search is vetting different Austin contractors and comparing their work.
- Request quotes from three to four contractors in Austin.
- Visit the website for each Austin solar contractor and check if their solar copany website is updated and professional looking.
- Explore all customer reviews or ratings you can find online for each contractor to see if they are mostly positive or how the solar company responds to negative reviews.
- Learn how to evaluate different Austin solar installation cost quotes.
Schedule a Call with Your Favorite Contractors
Once you have a full list of your top choices, vet the solar contractors on the phone. A reliable and professional solar panel installer will appreciate an opportunity to talk to you personally about your solar energy installation project.
- How long have you been established in the Austin area?
- How much experience do you have with my particular solar panel installation job?
- What solar installation cost estimate are we expecting?
- Can you provide a list of references who you’ve installed for in Austin?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage for the city of Austin?
Meet with the Best Austin Solar Contractors
Meet in-person with your top contractors to review project-specific details and expectations. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare Austin solar contractors. Be sure to bring up the following with each contractor:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits for their solar business in Austin.
- Discuss who will manage the solar warranty details and responsibility.
- Make sure to get a fixed installation cost before signing a contract and compare with other local cost estimates to make sure you are getting the best price in Austin.
How to Evaluate Austin Solar Price Quotes
The best solar contractor will not always be the cheapest installation contractors in Austin. And the best solar installation quote isn’t always the lowest.
A recent Modernize survey revealed 63 percent of homeowners compare three to four solar contractor estimates ahead of a solar energy installation project. Evaluating multiple quotes helps homeowners scope their budget and encourages contractors to be competitive with their pricing. It’s important to understand your total solar estimates and why quotes can vary from each other. Before comparing your own set of estimates, see our guide on Evaluating Austin Contractors’ Solar Panel Prices.
Comparing Austin solar installers is easy and effective with our free hiring guide worksheet to help you find the best solar panel installers in Texas.
No matter what resources you use to determine who will install your solar panels it’s important you keep in mind that saving money today could cost you in the long run if you don’t have a trained professional taking on the job. Quality, especially when it comes to your home and solar panel installations is a lifelong investment.
Financing and Leasing Solar Energy in Austin TX
If you aren’t in a position to pay cash for the system, shop around for loan offering the best rate and terms. Consider a standard Austin loan or a home equity line of credit (HELOC). You may even find unsecured loan availability that doesn’t require collateral. Look for a low interest rate and a 20-year term, or less, if the terms work better for you.
Austin homeowners also have the option to lease solar panels. This is the perfect solution for those who don’t plan to remain in their current home for the long run. A solar lease provides the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar energy with a zero down payment, low monthly payments, and a short or long term lease. By the end of your lease agreement, you’ll have saved a significant amount on your city of Austin utility bills without the costs of a new solar panel system installation.
Austin Rebates and Incentives for Solar Energy
If you install a solar energy system in Austin, you will be eligible for a federal solar tax credit, which will help defray the cost. You can find more information about solar rebates and incentives at Energy.gov, and for answers to questions you may have, the Energy Star website has a helpful frequently asked questions page.
Austin Energy also adds to the plus side of installing solar panels with current rebates of $1,100 per kilowatt. So, a 5-kW solar system will garner an estimated $5,500 in rebates for Austin residents. Deduct that from the initial loan for the panels and you’ve already saved money the first year of having solar panels installed.
The city of Austin TX supports renewable solar power via Austin Energy using solar pv panels, wind power, and biomass facilities. Renewable power produced by these resources is sold to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas.