Roofing Contractors in Oakland, CA
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Get Your Roofing Project Done with Modernize
Installing a New Roof in Oakland, California
Having a new roof installed on your property is an expensive undertaking, but one that homeowners may have to face sooner than later. Several factors come into play that require new roofing including damage by weather, degraded roofing materials, roof leaks, and the age of the roofing material itself. When the time comes for a new roof, there are several things to take into consideration so you’ll be prepared financially.
Oakland, California’s Climate and What It Means for Roofs
California has a diverse climate with plenty of sunshine, rainfall, humidity, and in some cities, significant snow. In Oakland, the sun beats down on your roof an estimated 261 days a year. Add to that and additional 60+ days of precipitation. Fortunately, Oakland does not have to deal with snow. On a positive note, the comfort index based on humidity is 65 out of 100. The higher the index, the better. For U.S. cities, the average is 44.
Determining When a New Roof is Needed
In some situations, there are definite signs that a new roof is necessary. The most visible sign results from water leakage. When this happens, and depending where the leak is coming from, the dripping water creates discoloration on ceiling tiles or drywall. Keep in mind the insulation is also being dripped on, creating a situation for mold and mildew. Drips may also work their way into seams between walls, resulting in small beads of water trickling down or the wall itself becomes wet.
For homes with roofing material with a 15 to 30-year life span that are coming upon their expiration date, you may see torn, cracked, broken or peeling roofing material. In order to know for certain a new roof is necessary, you need an inspection by a professional roofing contractor. While inspecting the roofing material, the contractor will also look for any additional problems such as wood rot or soft spots.
Considerations When Buying a New Roof in Oakland
There is more to having a new roof installed than hiring a contractor and having them lay shingles. Here are a few things to consider beforehand:
- Not all roofing materials are applicable to every type of architectural style. This is something the contractor will discuss with you to ensure you purchase the appropriate roofing materials.
- Roofing materials range in price from inexpensive to very expensive, and each type has pros and cons in terms of durability and longevity.
- The price for a new roof is based on the square footage and should include all materials including felt lining, roofing nails, or any other materials the contractor needs for the project.
- A new roof can take a significant amount of time depending on the size of your home. It’s estimated the project can take 4 to 10 days. The project can take longer if repairs are needed.
- Financing is also something to consider with a variety of incentive programs, financing options, and federal tax credits available. Visit these websites for more information: Department of Energy, HERO and Energy Star.
Types of Roofing Material for your Oakland Home
While you may have one type of roofing material currently installed, there is a wide range of materials available that may also be appropriate for your home:
- Two heavier materials are slate roofing tiles and concrete tile roofing and clay tiles. Both are durable, long lasting, and provide good protection. With concrete and clay tiles, special framework is necessary before being installed.
- Reflective roofing, or cool roofing, is designed specifically to reflect the sun’s rays.
Metal roofing is environment friendly, recyclable, and available in copper roofs, stainless steel roofing, and aluminum.
- For a cozy cottage look, wood shingles and wood shakes are the choices. The natural material is available in pine, cedar and redwood. Wood shakes are hand hewn while wood shingles are cut by a machine.
- A popular roofing material is asphalt shingles. Available in a variety of colors, this material costs less and is easy to install.
Unexpected Costs when Installing a New Roof in Oakland
After an inspection, problems may be found such as wood rot of the underlining roof decking, broken soffits, and damaged beams. All of these must be replaced before installing a new roof. If leaking has caused wet insulation, it will need to be removed and replaced.
If the current roofing material is asphalt shingles and is already two layers thick, both layers must be removed. Most cities/states allow only two layers of roofing material at a time. The tear-off process will increase the cost of the project. To help find the cost of a roofing project, use this online roofing cost calculator.
Roofing Permit for Oakland
For roofing projects, a permit is required for the City of Oakland. The office is located at 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Room 2114, 2nd Floor. Office hours are Monday through Thursday, and Friday from 8 am to 4 pm, and Wednesday from 9:30 am to 4 pm.
Hiring a Roofing Contractor in Oakland
An important part of the new roof installation is hiring a certified, licensed and insured roofing contractor. Since a permit is required to install a roof, an inspection of the completed job is to be expected. Contact several reputable contractors and ask for a written, dated, and signed estimate for costs that includes all materials, repairs if necessary, removal of old roofing, warranty information, and an estimate for time of completion. You can check your contractor’s license at the Contractors State License Board website.
A new roof provides years of security to your home when installed properly and professionally. With better coverage sealing your home, you’ll be able to regulate the interior temperature of your home better, resulting in savings to monthly utility bills. Additional benefits to homeowners include an increase in property value, curbside appeal, and marketability.