Roofing Contractors in Rochester, NY
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Get Your Roofing Project Done with Modernize
Rochester Roofing Installation Buying Guide
Thinking of updating your home? New roofing is a great place to start. A new roof can totally transform the look of your home, while making it significantly more comfortable–preventing water from leaking through your roof and preventing air from escaping so that your home stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter–giving your HVAC system a much needed rest. There are so many different types of roofing though that deciding on a new system can be overwhelming. To help you narrow down your search and determine what type of roofing will best meet your needs, answer the following questions:
- What is my budget?
- What type of roofing will work best for Rochester weather?
- What type of roofing will complement the style of my home?
- Which type of roofing can make my home more energy efficient, saving me money on my monthly energy bills?
- Is making an environmentally responsible decision important to me? If so, what types of roofing will have the smallest impact on my local environment?
- While I’m installing a new roof, do I want to explore adding solar shingles vs solar panels?
Once you’ve answered these questions, reach out to trusted friends for recommendations for quality contractors. Your contractor can help you choose the system that best meets your needs, while also staying in your price range.
Rochester Climate and Your Roof
Rochester, NY has a humid continental climate, known for four distinct seasons. Precipitation is plentiful year round–there are 161 days with measurable precipitation. Residents of Rochester can expect at least 32 inches of rain annually and 25 inches of snow. On average there are 165 sunny days a year. July is the warmest month of the year with an average temperature of 82 degrees and January is the coolest month with temperature lows reaching 18 degrees.
Types of Roofing that Work Well for Rochester’s Climate
Asphalt shingles are by far the most popular roofing choice in Rochester, NY. They are budget-friendly, lightweight, durable, and come in a variety of styles. Installed properly, asphalt shingles are no longer easy to identify. Some are made to convincingly mimic the look of slate shingles, cedar shakes, or even tile roofs. Color choices are also more varied than ever. Manufacturer warranties currently guarantee asphalt shingles a 15–30 year useful life. Some other types of roofing that you may want to explore include:
- Metal Roofing: Metal roofing creates a modern look for your home and is very durable, with one of the best fire ratings available. It can also be applied directly over your existing roof, saving you the cost of a tear off job and diverting tons of roofing waste from your local landfill.
- Foam Roofing: Typically seen on commercial buildings, foam roofing is gaining popularity among homeowners because it is seamless–creating no space for water to leak through or for heating and air to escape.
- Slate Roofing: One of the most expensive choices you can make, but also one of the most beautiful, slate roofing will last the entire lifetime of your home–at least 100 years. It’s naturally impervious to many problems that affect traditional roofing like fire, rot, and pests.
You may also want to explore clay roofing tiles or concrete tile roofing, rubber roofing, or cedar shakes. Work with a licensed contractor to find the roofing system that best meets your needs and falls within your budget. Whichever system you invest in, your home will ultimately be more comfortable, more attractive, more energy efficient, and more valuable. According to the 2016 Cost vs. Value Report, you can expect a 71.7% return on your investment from your new roof, so it’s tough to go wrong when it comes to investing in a new roof.
Roofing Permitting in Rochester, NY
Building Permits are required by the State of New York and the Code of the City of Rochester, and can be obtained in the City’s Permit Office. Permits establish that a proposed project satisfies all codes and regulations to ensure the public’s safety, health, and the enjoyment of property. Building Permits often require zoning approval. Most projects affecting changes to real property require a Building Permit. Permit fees are usually based upon the cost of the project’s labor and materials, although flat fees are sometimes charged based on the scope of the project. A Re-Roof Application can be accessed via the city’s website. For additional questions, contact the City of Rochester at:
Bureau of Planning & Zoning
City Hall – Room 125B
Rochester, New York 14614
Tel: (585) 428-6526
Hours of Operation: 9 am to 4:00 pm