Find Local Roof Repair Contractors with Modernize
If you're still working with the same type of roofing you had when you bought your home, it might be time to consider a roof replacement. Older roofing can often sustain wear, tear, and even significant damage over the years. Installing a different roofing material, slope, or overall design can make a dramatic difference for your home.
Modernize is here for you if roof replacement is in your future and you are wanting to find roofing projects in Austin, TX. We take pride in what we do and we want to help ease the process of getting a replacement roof unit installed. Working with Modernize can help you find a better approach to your roofing replacement needs.
Whether you're upgrading your roof now or looking to learn more about what you can do in the future, finding reliable roofing services is always a smart choice.
Roofing Contractors in Austin, TX
Roofing Repairs in Austin TX
As the Austin economy is growing, many homeowners are beginning to explore various home renovations to increase the comfort and aesthetics of their home. One of the best investments that you can make in your home is replacing your roof. According to the 2019 Cost vs. Value Report, you can expect a 71.7% rate of return on investment (ROI) when you replace your roof. Certain types of roofing systems, like metal roofing and slate roofing shingles, can further increase that ROI as prospective homebuyers are attracted to the durability and aesthetic appeal of those systems. Adding environmentally friendly features like solar panels can also increase your overall home value while providing significant monthly savings on your utility bills while you live in your home.
To determine which type of roofing system is best for your Austin home, you’ll want to answer a few questions:
- What type of roofing system will best stand up to Austin’s hot climate?
- What is your budget? Are there “faux” products that can protect your home while convincingly emulating the look of more expensive roofing options like cedar shakes or slate?
- Are you concerned about your environmental footprint? If so, which type of roofing system will have the smallest impact on the environment?
- Are you interested in a roofing system that can improve your home’s energy efficiency? The Department of Energy estimates that 56% of the energy used in your home goes toward heating and cooling, so selecting a roofing system that provides quality thermal insulation will have a big impact on your monthly utility bills.
Finding Roof Replacement Contractors in Austin
A trusted Austin roofing contractor will be able to assess, identify, and explain potential improvements or upgrades to your home. To ensure a timely roof repair or replacement, a reliable contractor is key. There’s a lot to consider under the umbrella of reliability in Austin TX. In recent interviews, 90 percent of Austin homeowners requested a roofing contractor checklist to help them find and vet local roof installers. Modernize offers a free, digital Austin Roofing Contractor Checklist as a simple, step-by-step hiring guide to assist with your roofing project.
Here are some things you can do to ensure you find the best roof replacement contractor in Austin:
1. Get Local Roof Contractor Referrals
Most homeowners approach a new roofing projects by gathering referrals from other Austinites who have recently had their roof replaced. Some of the most common approaches are:
- Ask neighbors, friends, or family in Austin about their experiences with local roofing companies and if it was a positive or negative experience.
- Contact the Austin Roofing Better Business Bureau.
- Connect with trusted roofing contractors in Austin above through Modernize.
2. Vet Multiple Austin Roofers
One of the most important parts of your search is vetting different roofing contractors throughout Austin and comparing their work.
- Request quotes from three to four contractors in the Austin area.
- Visit the website of each contractor and see if it is updated and professional looking.
- Explore the customer reviews for each roof replacement contractor to see if they are mostly positive. How did they respond to negative feedback?
3. Reach Out to the Best Options
Once you have a short list of your top choices in the Austin area, get them on the phone. A trustworthy contractor will appreciate an opportunity to discuss your roofing project further, and a conversation allows you to get to know them. While you know best what you want to learn in the conversation, here are some quick questions to get the conversation started with your roofing professional:
- How long have you been in business in Austin?
- How much experience do you have with roofing repair or installation?
- What is your roof project cost estimate? Is it comparable to other Austin roofing companies?
- Can you provide a list of local references?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage for the city of Austin?
4. Meet with Your Top Contractors
Meet in-person with the top contractors you liked to review specific details and expectations for your roofing project. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare Austin roofing contractors. Be sure to bring up the following with each contractor:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits for the Austin area.
- Discuss who will manage warranty details and responsibility. See our guide on roof material warranties for help in that area.
- Make sure to get a fixed price before signing a contract and compare to at least four other Austin roofing repair services.
The Best Roofs for Austin Climate
Residents of Austin, TX can expect at least 300 sunny days each year. Winters are mild, summers can be quite toasty, while the spring and fall offer up a great balance of blue skies and mild temperatures. Austin does experience its fair share of storms though and is one of the most flash-flood prone regions of the country, so you’ll need to select a roofing system that can stand up not only to intense UV rays and high temperatures, but also heavy rains and strong winds.
Getting Roofing Permits in Austin TX
In Austin, a building permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, remove, convert, move or demolish any building or structure within in the City’s zoning jurisdiction or in certain Municipal Utility Districts (Section 25-12-243 of the City Code). To learn whether your project will require a permit, call the Development Services Department. Once a permit has been issued, an inspection must be scheduled. Once the final inspection has been completed, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or Certificate of Compliance (CC) will be issued. All permits will remain active for 180 days, but will expire on the 181st day if the project has not received an inspection, or after the date of the last inspection that shows progress towards completion of the project. All expired permits must be resolved before a new building permit can be issued. To check whether an expired permit exists on your property, call the Development Services Department. There are multiple ways to contact the Austin Department regarding a permit:
505 Barton Springs Road
The Development Services Department is open weekdays from 8am to 3pm. A licensed contractor should be able to assist you with the permitting process.