Replacement Window Contractors in Austin, TX
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Find Local Window Installation with Modernize
If you're interested in enhancing your home's energy efficiency, new replacement windows are a good place to start. Inefficient windows will let heating and cooling escape your home and can be costly. Replacing windows in your home can be a quick and easy upgrade to your home's value.
Modernize is here to help if it's time to replace your windows and you need replacement windows in Austin, TX. Giving your home some upgraded new windows adds a little love and attention that could be just what you need to enhance your home.
We love helping homeowners find the best contractors in their area. Find trusted local window installers today!
Replacement Window Contractors in Austin, Texas
A local Austin contractor will be able to assess, identify, and explain the best window replacement options in your area specific to your home. It is best to approach your search for an Austin window contractor with a set of ideas as to what you want and need with new home windows. Whether you are in Round Rock, Sunset Valley, or downtown Austin, you’ll want to make sure you are finding the most reliable contractor and best price in your surrounding area. Ensuring you know what you expect from your window replacement contractor will lessen any unforeseen complications and help you and your ATX contractor complete your replacement window project with ease.
Finding Window Installers in Austin
One of the top qualities you can find in an ATX replacement window contractor will be that you fully trust them and feel they are going to put your best interest first for your home improvement project.
Here are the best practices for hiring a local window replacement contractor in Austin best suited for the job.
Ask for Referrals from Local Austinites
- Ask your Austin friends, family, and neighbors about their window installation projects and who they used to update their home.
Vet Your Contractors
- Request price estimates from at least three to four window replacement contractors in Austin
- Review each window contractor’s website to make sure it’s an updated and professional looking website.
- Explore any customer reviews for your Austin contractor and see if the reviews and ratings are mostly positive from other homeowners in Austin.
Things to Ask Your Installer
- How long have you been in business in Austin?
- How much experience do you have with my particular window replacement and installation project?
- What is the local cost estimate of my replacement window job?
- Can you provide a list of local Austin references for past jobs you’ve done?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage from the city of Austin if I were to hire you?
Meet with Your Favorite Contractors
After you’ve spoken to your top window contractor picks, it’s time to meet up in person with them. Review your project specific details and expectations of your window replacement. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare Austin window contractors. Be sure to bring up the following questions with each replacement window installer:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits for their Austin window replacement company.
- Discuss who will manage window warranty details and responsibility.
- Make sure to get a fixed window replacement price before signing any type of contract and compare to at least four other Austin window contractors after.
New Window Installation in Austin
No matter where you live in Austin, there is basic information you need to understand about installing new windows. First, it is important to understand the difference between replacement and new construction windows. Replacement windows work best for projects where there won’t be any construction on the surrounding wall, since they are specifically designed to fit into the space left behind by your old window. In comparison, new construction windows have to be secured directly to the studs of your home so they only work for projects where the frame will be exposed.
Replacing Old Windows in Austin, Texas
If you don’t plan to install your replacement windows yourself, you will need to find a reliable Austin contractor to install your new windows. The City of Austin requires any contractor making major alterations to homes to have a general builder’s license. This license can be obtained from the Development Services Department and it must be registered with the state government. Contractor’s who have employees working under them must also carry workers’ compensation insurance that will cover any medical expenses or costs associated with missed work if an employee is injured while working on your home.
Once you have hired a contractor in Austin, they will need to purchase a building permit for your particular window replacement. This can be done by filling out an application provided by the City of Austin on their Development Services Department website or by calling their office at 512-974-2000.
Paying for Window Replacement in Austin
The city of Austin currently sponsors a window replacement assistance program called, Go Repair! This program is available to low and moderate income households within Austin city limits. Homeowners who meet the eligibility qualifications as outlined on the Neighborhood Housing and Community Development website can receive assistance covering all or a portion of the costs associated with specific home repairs including window repair and replacement. Window replacements are included in the assistance program if the current windows pose a threat to the health or safety of those living in the home.
Whenever possible, save up and pay cash for home improvements like new window installation. In cases where you are unable to pay cash, you can also finance your purchase by applying for a zero interest credit card or a home equity line of credit.
- Vinyl replacement windows cost in Austin is between $450 and $600 each
- Wood replacement windows cost between $800 and $1000 each
- Include an additional $50 to $100 for each window to cover installation costs and labor.
Best New Window Options for Austin TX
Since Austin is located in the Southern Climate Zone as indicated by ENERGY STAR®. This means, Austin homeowners typically rely heavily on their cooling system and very little on their heating system. Austin is known for humid and very warm summers, with an average high of 97 degrees in August. The winters in Austin are mild, with an average low of 42 degrees in January.
Since summers are hot and humid in Austin, it is important to find a window that is designed specifically for the climate. The easiest way to understand the energy efficiency of a window is by understanding the ratings listed on the National Fenestration Ratings Council that is placed on every new window being installed.
Your local Austin contractor will be more than capable to evaluate which window installation options will be best for your particular budget and home’s needs.
As an Austin homeowner, the expense of replacing old windows is one that will save you money in the long run. When you buy windows that meet ENERGY STAR® requirements, you can expect to save as much as $266 in heating and cooling costs each year. You will also be making a big step towards a more sustainable way of life since you will be decreasing your use of nonrenewable energy sources.