Tile Flooring Installations
Tile: It’s versatile, durable, affordable, easy to install, and fits any design style. There is a reason it is found in so many homes. Tile flooring is a go-to choice for homeowners — in fact, Consumer Reporters chose tile as their top pick for almost every single room in a home.
There is a variety of tile options available for flooring installations. The best material for you depends on the aesthetic you are looking to achieve.
Cost of Tile Flooring
Because it can be made of so many different materials, cut into a myriad of shapes and made into a variety of colors, tile has a large price range from affordable to high-end. It is estimated that tile can be anywhere from $3 to $20 per square foot.
Ceramic tends to be on the lower end of the price spectrum, with natural stone tiles in the higher end. So no matter your style preferences and budget, there should be a tile design that will work for you. Be sure to ask your contractor about your different tile options and their cost estimates per square foot.
Tile flooring can consist of porcelain, ceramic, natural stone, and other materials
Easy to Clean
Multiple Material Options
Lasts 75-100+ years
Tile flooring can be made of a number of different materials, but the main two categories are ceramic and natural stone tile.
- Ceramic: The materials to make ceramic tile is quarried and formed into a mold. Within this category, there’s porcelain and non-porcelain tile, the latter being more affordable. During the firing process, the tile is also given a glaze to make it scratch and stain resistant. This is especially important for keeping out water — hence why tile is almost a must-have in bathrooms! Porcelain tile is fired at a higher temperature than non-porcelain, making it harder and less porous.
- Natural stone tile: While these materials are still quarried, they are not molded. They are just cut to size to maintain the beauty of the natural material. This includes granite, marble, limestone, travertine and slate, making it a great choice for homeowners and designers who are looking to bring features from nature into the home. Natural stone tile surfaces are completed with a natural, honed or polished finish. It is typically more expensive than ceramic tile.
Benefits of Using Tile
- Easy upkeep: Being easy to clean and difficult to stain, tile is great for high-traffic areas of the home. With a couple swipes of a wet towel or a mop, you can remove any dirt that gets on the floor.
- Versatile: No matter your style, there’s probably a tile for you. It comes in a rainbow of colors and shapes to fit your design dreams and can even mimic the look of other materials.
- Water resistant: There is a reason tile is used in so many home bathrooms. Because of the glazed layer over ceramic tiles, water can not seep through and damage the floor. Tiles are also naturally resistant to humidity.
- Long lasting: While touring homes built in the ‘50s and ‘60s, you will notice the tile is probably in great shape. When taken care of — which, as we have mentioned, is not difficult to do — tile will last you decades.
- Health friendly: For homeowners with allergies or asthma, it is important to choose the right materials in their home. Tile is a great choice because it is easy to clean and will not absorb allergens.
Extra Notes About Tile Flooring
No material is perfect, and tile is no different. So while it’s cost effective, easy to clean and long lasting, there are some minor downsides to mention.
Hardness: Because the material is so tough, it can be uncomfortable to stand on tile for a long period of time. Area rugs are an easy fix for comfort as well as a design feature.
Cold: If you’re living somewhere that gets cold, expect some cold feet during the winter.
When speaking to flooring installers as you start your project, make sure to ask their recommendation on the best type of tile for your space. You can also ask flooring professionals about payment and financing options available to you.
Here's how we've helped
2M+ homeowners get projects done:
"The pros did an excellent job for a reasonable price. Roofing crew was amazing. I would highly recommend this company."
"They did beautiful work replacing 3 windows for us and we got them done at a great price."
"The installers were excellent! They did everything they promised. I got a great price and the new AC Unit works perfectly!"
"They did a great job installing and getting the required permits to complete the job. The new solar system a good investment to our home."
"Helped us choose the best products and pricing and were able to get us financing at an excellent rate! Truly professional and very nice."
"The whole process, from getting the quote to having the work done was flawless. The guys were truly professionals."
"Process went smoothly and the roof looks great."
"Good price, great job! I love my new windows."
Here are additional resources that homeowners found useful when considering a tile flooring project.
Ready to get your project started?
Let Modernize find the best home improvement pros in your area, then easily request quotes, book a contractor, and get the job done. It’s that easy.