Linoleum Flooring Installations
Linoleum floors are not just for your grandma’s kitchen anymore. Although it’s been around for 150 years, this flooring material is making a comeback from its mid-century heyday and growing in popularity, thanks to the variety of colors and designs available at an affordable price. It’s also naturally antibacterial and has eco-friendly qualities, two features that more and more homeowners are looking for.
But there’s much more to be said about this once cast-aside flooring. You’ll see why more homeowners are choosing linoleum for their floors.
What is Linoleum?
Linoleum is a mixture of materials with the design printed throughout. One of the features of linoleum that many buyers like is that it’s made with natural materials, including linseed oil, rosin and wood. It’s not uncommon for people to confuse linoleum with vinyl floor — or to be pitted against one another. Vinyl is different in that it is made in layers, like laminate flooring, and both have their pros and cons.
Linoleum can be purchased in sheets, tile or planks. Sheets, which are glued down, are the oldest form and still very popular. Less common are tiles, which have a variety of designs available, and then planks. These options are becoming attractive to DIYers, though, as they are more manageable to install on your own. A sealant is recommended over the linoleum so that it maintains its color.
Cost of Linoleum Flooring
Compared to other flooring options, linoleum is quite affordable, ranging from $3 to $10 per square foot. Features that will impact the price include whether you purchase it in tiles or sheets and the thickness of the linoleum. Installation by a flooring professional is also affordable because of the ease of putting down the flooring.
Linoleum flooring is affordable, long-lasting, and easy to maintain
Lasts 40+ years
Benefits of Linoleum
- Easy to install: With linoleum now sold with adhesive already attached, putting down linoleum can be quick and easy.
- Versatile: Because the design is printed in the linoleum, the options for colors and images (including mimicking hardwood flooring) are endless.
- Antibacterial: The natural materials used to make linoleum are antibacterial, a good option for those with allergies. It’s so effective, healthcare facilities often use linoleum.
- Easy to maintain: Linoleum is a low maintenance flooring; simple sweeping and mopping does the job on an everyday basis. Since it’s a slick surface, it makes clean up easy.
- Eco-friendly: Like we mentioned earlier, linoleum flooring is made of all-natural materials, making it easy to biodegrade when it’s done serving its time as your floor. It also doesn’t emit volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. For homeowners spending the time to make green choices, linoleum is a popular choice.
More Notes About Linoleum Floors
No material is perfect, and linoleum is no different. So while it’s cost effective, easy to clean and durable, there are some downsides to mention.
- Dents: Linoleum is susceptible to pressure, so heavy furniture, high heels and sharp objects might leave behind unsightly dents.
- Discoloration: While the natural materials are a plus for health, the linseed oil can change color over time, turning the linoleum a yellowish hue. This seems to happen more in areas that don’t get a lot of sunlight, such as flooring that has an area rug over it. Thankfully, the ambering doesn’t mean it needs to be replaced — try a mixture of water, vinegar and baking soda as well as exposure to some sunlight.
- Not waterproof: Linoleum is water resistant, but it’s not waterproof. It’s best to not use this material in bathrooms, laundry rooms, and other rooms where there’s going to be a lot of water sitting on the floor.
If you’re ready to speak to a flooring professional about your installing linoleum flooring, or other types of flooring for your home, Modernize can help! Use our search tools to find reliable and trustworthy flooring installers in your area.
Here's how we've helped
2M+ homeowners get projects done:
"The pros did an excellent job for a reasonable price. Roofing crew was amazing. I would highly recommend this company."
"They did beautiful work replacing 3 windows for us and we got them done at a great price."
"The installers were excellent! They did everything they promised. I got a great price and the new AC Unit works perfectly!"
"They did a great job installing and getting the required permits to complete the job. The new solar system a good investment to our home."
"Helped us choose the best products and pricing and were able to get us financing at an excellent rate! Truly professional and very nice."
"The whole process, from getting the quote to having the work done was flawless. The guys were truly professionals."
"Process went smoothly and the roof looks great."
"Good price, great job! I love my new windows."
Here are additional resources that homeowners found useful when considering a linoleum flooring project.
Ready to get your project started?
Let Modernize find the best home improvement pros in your area, then easily request quotes, book a contractor, and get the job done. It’s that easy.