Replacement Window Contractors Near You
- No obligation to purchase
- Free cancellations
- Trusted by over 2 million customers each year!
Find Local Window Installers
How to Find the Best Window Replacement Near You
At Modernize, we frequently speak to homeowners about their window replacement projects. In our recent interviews, half of the homeowners who undertook a window installation home improvement project were doing so to increase the value of their home. 80% of our homeowners found a window contractor through local referrals. It’s always important to properly vet and research contractors near you before choosing your perfect fit, even if a friend or a family member personally vouched for them.
A local reliable contractor will be able to assess, identify, and explain the best window replacement options in your area specific to your home. It is best to approach your search for a contractor with a set of ideas as to what you want and need with new home windows. Are you looking for a top brand, a certain style, energy efficient options, or more? Ensuring you know what you expect from your window replacement contractor will lessen any unforeseen complications and help you and your contractor complete your replacement window project with ease.
Hiring a Reliable Local Window Contractor
One of the top qualities you can find in a local replacement window contractor will be that you fully trust in them and feel they are going to be reliable to complete your window installation project.
Here are the best practices for hiring a local window replacement contractor best suited for the job:
Ask for Referrals
Often the first step in a successful window replacement project will be to gather referrals from people and companies in your area on the potential window contractors:
- Ask your trusted sources such as friends, family, neighbors, etc.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau. Do some research on their site and know what kind of ratings & reviews your potential hire have.
- Connect with trusted window contractors in your area with Modernize. We offer an easy to use platform to find the most reliable window contractors in your area. Let us help you start the process.
“Call them. Pick up the phone, ask them a lot of questions, and if possible go and see [the completed work],” recommends Skip Bedell, who stars in HGTV’s Catch a Contractor. “I’ve found that if people are really proud of the job that was done on their house, most of the time they don’t mind letting other people come by and see it.”
Vet Your Contractors
The 2nd most important step in your contractor research is vetting different window replacement contractors and comparing their work.
- Request price estimates from at least three to four window replacement contractors near you
- Review each window contractor’s website.
- Is it an updated and professional looking website?
- Explore any customer reviews for your contractor choices.
- Are the reviews and ratings mostly positive? Consider negative reviews and responses as well.
Reach Out to Top Picks
Once you have a list of the best replacement window contractors, it’s time to reach out to them. A trustworthy window contractor will appreciate an opportunity to discuss your project further, and a conversation allows you to get to know them on a more personal level. Here are the top questions you will want to ask a local window replacement contractor on the phone before meeting in person.
- How long have you been in business?
- How much experience do you have with window replacement and installation?
- What is the cost estimate of my replacement window job?
- Can you provide a list of references for past jobs you’ve done?
- Can you provide proof of insurance for personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage coverage if I were to hire you?
You’ll want to avoid any window contractors who are not licensed or uninsured. Having a licensed and insured contractor will help keep you safe in case there was an issue during the window installation.
Meet with Your Favorite Contractors
After you’ve spoke to you top contractor picks, it’s time to meet up in person with them. You’ll want to review project specific details and expectations of your window replacement. You can use Modernize’s free worksheet for homeowners to compare window contractors. Be sure to bring up the following questions with each replacement window contractor:
- Ask to see proof of insurance, which should provide their insurance company name, policy number, and policy limits for their window replacement business.
- Discuss who will manage window warranty details and responsibility.
- Make sure to get a fixed window replacement price before signing any type of contract.
Local Contractor Warning Signs
Before choosing your contractor for an affordable window replacement, be sure that you can fully trust them and that their estimate is transparent and complete.
Door-to-door contractors, for example, flock to areas impacted by storms, and can scam unsuspecting homeowners with offers that boast pre-payment or covered deductibles. The best way to avoid scams is to choose a local, trusted contractor—someone who has been around and stuck around near your area. You’ll want to work with someone whose reputation and reliability are central to their success. You can confirm this by checking their physical business address and validating their licensing.
Here are some warning signs that can protect your local window replacement project:
- Avoid contractors who request the entire window replacement cost, or large cash deposit, up front. A down payment should not exceed 10 percent or $1,000.
- Avoid anyone who pressures you to sign a contract immediately after meeting up.
- Be wary of any outliers in your quotes. All window replacement estimates should be relatively similar in costs unless the material type is significantly different.
When it comes to window replacement projects, there are some hidden costs homeowners could be surprised by down the line. The best way to avoid these is to ask the contractor about them before hand to ensure they wont be an issue or they are already accounted for.
Window Replacement Hiring Guide
The best window replacement contractor will not always be the cheapest contractor you can find. .
A recent Modernize survey revealed 63 percent of homeowners compare three to four contractor estimates ahead of a replacement window project. Evaluating multiple quotes helps homeowners scope their budget and encourages contractors to be competitive with their pricing. It’s important to understand your window cost estimates and why quotes may vary from each other. Before comparing your own set of estimates, see our full guide on Evaluating Contractors’ Window Replacement Quotes.
Comparing contractors is easy and effective with our free contractor comparison worksheet to help homeowners find the best window replacement contractors in their area. No matter what you use to determine who will replace your windows, it’s important you keep in mind that saving money today could cost you much more money later if the new windows don’t hold up or, more realistically, the process to replace them is not done accurately. Quality, especially when it comes to your windows, is a lifelong investment and should be treated as so.
Let us help you find the best replacement window contractors in your area today. Compare local contractors with ratings and reviews at the top of this page.